Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

My new mission ...

I have been trying new things, going to the gym, walking, and experimenting with new foods.

Let me tell you -- listen to your body.  It knows when it doesn't like something or you are pushing it to hard.

The gym is good as long as I don't exercise to hard.  I can ride the stationary bike at a low pace for about 30 minutes; do arms lifts and work on my legs.  After about 45/50 minutes my body is done.   Charles drives me home and I sleep for a while so my body can recover.  I am getting to the gym about two times a week.

I am walking around the block with the dog at a slow pace.  It takes me about 1 hour to go 1.5 miles.  It is exercise and it is outside.

Now, food is another challenge for people with Gastroparesis.  Food doesn't empty out of your stomach like normal and you have to be careful what you eat.  I have purchased 8 oz water bottles and my goal every day is to drink 1 bottle a day.  Some days are better than others -- but I keep pushing forward.  The more water I can take in, the sooner they will consider removing my tube.

I tried almond flour pancakes - which were really tasty but my system did not like them at all.  It took 5 days for the fiber to process through my system -- so not doing that one again.  I tried white rice and that didn't do well at all.  I tried sweet potatoes as well.  Again, a no go with this body.

So today I have cooked a gastroparesis friendly "chili."  I love white chicken chili.  I modified the chili to fit what I can eat.

Instead of the beans - I diced up white potatoes and cooked them with all the seasonings of the chili.  I cannot do cornbread, so I will have flour tortilla as the bread.  In the chili I have chicken, seasonings of onions, green peppers, green chili, and garlic.  I have been cooking this mixture all afternoon.

I am determined to find things that I can eat and tolerate.  I meet with a dietitian on Wednesday who said she is willing to try and help me get through this disease.

So for now, keep following my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment